The latest Baldur’s Gate 3 patch brings some small, but useful, improvements. For example, reducing the size of saved games and making Gayle easier to manage in the team. Here is everything this hotfix brings and details from Larian.
Baldur’s Gate 3 has received another hotfix. This latest update, hotfix patch 17, brings some minor changes that should resolve some bugs and other issues players are experiencing. Following the update, Larian amended the patch notes to demonstrate that they remain “transparent” .
Here is everything that Baldur’s Gate 3 patch 17 brings, with details from Larian.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Hotfix 17 Changes
The biggest change in Patch 17 concerns the companion Gayle.
After this update, it will be easier for players to keep him in the team. In fact, he will no longer leave permanently if you do not offer him magical objects to consume. The issue appeared following patch 16, which aimed to prevent players from getting stuck in certain areas. The issue was caused by quest items left in the camp chest or a companion remaining at camp.
However, hotfix 16 appears to have caused additional issues. He made items that could have been given to Gayle unavailable. This created a situation where players could offer him a magic item without having to provide one, infuriating him and causing him to leave the team permanently.
As Larian jokingly said in the original notes: “We sat down and explained to him that if someone doesn’t offer him a shoe to eat all the time, that doesn’t mean they never will “.
The exception to this is if the player makes it clear that they will never give them magic items. At that point, Gayle will leave…probably to find shoes or a ring to snack on.
In addition to this, there are some code fixes that should reduce game file sizes via compression. This should be useful for those who frequently create save files or continue to create new characters.
Finally, Larian explains that they are working hard to ensure that subsequent updates will be released on Mac at the same time as other platforms. They explained: “Mac gamers can expect to receive both patch 16 and 17 together, in an update that we can talk about more soon.”
Baldur’s Gate 3 Hotfix 17 Patch Notes
Larian Studios patch notes are available here.
Performance and Code
- Black and colored visual artifacts sometimes appearing for 1 frame on PS5 when changing scenes or opening and closing UI windows.
- [Correction submitted] Error 544
- We have increased save compression, which should resolve several issues caused by large save files, including some cases of the Error 544 message. We have also reduced save file sizes by removing invocations that do not no longer exist in the game.
- Reduced save file size by removing summons that no longer exist in the game.
- Protection against crashes caused when certain character resources (Actions, Bonus Actions, Superiority Dice, etc.) were added and then removed by a mod or cheat engine.
Game and Fight
- In Honor Mode, Cazador’s aura now properly dissipates after he is no longer in Mist Form. Sorry!
- Fixed the camera sometimes zooming in when jumping or using projectile spells.
- Fixed being able to walk through open doors by clicking on them remotely.
- Fixed Thief’s Tools in the camp chest or a companion’s inventory waiting at camp not being accessible when picking locks.
- The Protective Shield’s Saving Throw modifier is now correctly reflected on the Character Sheet.
Flux and Script
- [Fixed] Gayle will no longer permanently leave the team if you don’t offer him any magic items during a conversation with him – unless you make it clear that you don’t intend to do so.
- This is a temporary bugfix to prevent Gayle from immediately leaving the team when players are unable to turn in an item. In patch #16, we began the process of updating the player’s ability to access certain quest-related items, even if they were in the camp chest or a companion’s inventory in waiting at the camp.
- However, the UI for giving items to Gayle has not yet been updated, meaning the dialogue could be triggered if the items were available elsewhere, but would not show up in the UI to give. This risked putting players in a situation where Gayle was expecting an item from them, and they were unable to provide it.
- With this initial fix, close the UI or use something other than “I won’t give you anything.”Not Now, Not Ever” will prevent Gayle from immediately leaving your team, until the UI logic is updated.
- If you want to kick Gayle, and you don’t have an actual shoe to share in your inventory, choose “I won’t give you anything.”Not now, not ever,” will always make Gayle leave your team, permanently!
- Fixed characters getting stuck “in a story event” , preventing you from controlling them, after being killed in the fight against Grym.
Here’s everything you need to know about Baldur’s Gate 3 hotfix patch 17.